Pages

Monday 31 October 2011

A Hallowed Eve

My Cat-o-Lantern


This year I have felt a strong yearning to participate in Samhain rituals and observances. I've felt it very keenly for the past few weeks, even before my move. I think it is a way of my spirit telling me that it needs to realign itself with the natural world and start the new year with a grounded perspective. As a result I've been doing some Samhain research and looking for ways I can celebrate it in my highly Catholic parents' house without offending my mom who blames people falling away from the Church as a result of "new age" and "occult" ideas. I already had to fend her off years ago and try as I might  I have yet to properly educate her on the differences between "new age," "occult" and "paganism."

My ideas so far are consisting of:
  • a private ritual in my room this evening
  • baking pumpkin bread as a celebration of the harvest
  • placing candles in my window to guide spirits on their way
  • offering apple cider
  • scrying, tarot reading and/or runecasting
  • making incense or bath salts for the sabbat
I would love to dress up, but I don't have a costume and my silly stupid game has an event I'm hosting at 7pm tonight. That and I told we don't get many trick-or-treaters around here so I'm not too sure of what will be going on around here this evening.

Whatever your plans for Samhain are I hope you fair well this hallowed eve.


No comments:

Post a Comment