Pages

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Seasons Change

It's now officially October and while the rest of the Northern Hemisphere is enjoying cooler weather, here in the San Francisco Bay we are enjoying Indian Summer. That right, October hits and we start setting records for the highest temperatures reached this year. Yes, they days are getting shorter and the nights longer, but how is one supposed to celebrate the onset of the darker time of year when it's still 80 degrees out at 11pm? What's even more perplexing is that leaves on trees are changing colors and falling off just like they're doing everywhere else.

Most of what I have learned indicates that pagans and witches are now preparing to settle in for the winter and are focusing on home and hearth more and more. Yet, here it's extremely difficult to. My house is currently too hot to fire up the oven and bake and the temperature calls for iced tea rather than spiced cider. Autumn is my favorite time of the year and thus I am sad that I cannot observe it the way I would like. Yet, there are little things I can do. For example, consuming fruits of the season such as pomegranates, figs and apples, buying pumpkins and placing them around the house in preparation for Samhain, and collecting leaves and making decorations with them. I just wish I could start wearing sweaters, boots and scarves while enjoying the richness and warmth of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment