Pages

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Lunar Chaos and Winter Retreats

Winter Moon

As much as I love the Moon (as a kid I wanted to be an Apollo astronaut when I grew up, moonstone is my gemstone of choice, etc) the passing of a full moon always seems to bring a bit of chaos to my life. Last night was the Snow Moon and while yesterday was nice a peaceful, this morning has been quite chaotic. I feel klutzier than normal. Timing things is not working in my favor. And the one thing I really want to do on my day off I keep getting interrupted when I try to do—study magic and paganism.

The last one probably bothers me the most. The others are all trivial and in the long run won't matter. But having a good environment to study my craft is important for both learning the material correctly and for my mental well being. I've noticed that my studies bring me a peace of mind I have a hard time finding in our chaotic little house. They also remove me from the craziness of out modern, digitally driven world. And trust me, that can be a very hard thing to accomplish with 4 people running in and out of the kitchen you use as a study.

Recently we took a trip up to the Tahoe area for a few days. Staying in the cabin in the snow was wonderful for the most part. I was granted sight of the beauty that the goddess' touch leaves on the world in early morning. The cabin we were at was next to a creek. Meditating beside the creek and taking in the natural world was wonderful. However, any peace I tried to carve out was constantly shattered by my roommate's 3 year old daughter he brought on the trip. Granted, he was the organizer of the trip and had the cabin connection, but when there's only one kid and the rest of the people are unmarried and childless for a reason, this makes for a less than relaxing vacation.

One thing I did get out of that trip was a huge resurgence in my desire to study the devine and strengthen my connection with the Lady and Lord. I should probably take note from a post I came across this morning on the blog A Heathen's Path regarding Practice Makes Perfect. The post discusses making time and finding ways to observe our spiritual traditions in a world that consumes all our free time and doesn't reflect our beliefs. My efforts so far have been to read blogs and other sources regarding rituals, sabbats, spells, lore, etc. while having breakfast, maintaining a small altar space on the table I use as a desk, taking note of the blossoms and leaves on the trees outside my window, etc. It does bring me peace to notice these things, I just wish I had more time to devote to them. As the title of that post says practice makes perfect and in time, with some dedication, I'm sure I can settle into a few routines of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment